Re: Fastest airliner ?

From:         ehahn@bass.mitre.org (Ed Hahn)
Date:         08 Aug 95 01:45:10

In article <airliners.1995.1134@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

   >Could anyone tell me what the fastest reported speed is for an
   >airliner till now ? (Could you express this speed in mph or km/hr
   >instead of Mach numbers..?)

<deletia about SSTs>

   The Convair 990A Coronado was one of the fastest subsonic jetliners.
   The 747SP, which is slightly faster than the other 747 models, is the
   only jetliner I can think of which matches or at least comes close to
   the Coronado -- it cruises at about 645 mph, I believe.

====
The 990 in the name possibly refers to a speed of 990 ft/second, or
675 mph/587 knots (see the PS).  However, looking at the Standard
Atmosphere, at 40,000 feet, the speed of sound is about 968 feet per
second and stays fairly constant until 69,000 feet or so... Obviously,
the 990 didn't cruise at supersonic speeds.

Since the other figure I've heard for the C990 was a 0.90 Mach cruise
speed, that would make cruise at 871 fps/594 mph/516 knots at FL410
(on a standard day).

Then again, the 990 fps max could come at a lower altitude...

Marketing.  Who can tell?

ed

PS.  I may be mistaken - the 880 in the C880 definitely was advertised
as the fps cruise speed.  I was extending it to the C990, which
obviously may not be valid.  On the other hand, it was a darn fast
airplane!

--------   Ed Hahn | ehahn@mitre.org | (703) 883-5988   --------