Re: BA fuel dumping

From:         Pete Finlay <pete@meads.demon.co.uk>
Date:         08 Aug 95 01:45:08

In article: <airliners.1995.1152@ohare.Chicago.COM>  Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
writes:

> Snippet from today's Guardian:-
>
> "Approximately every 11 days, a British Airways airliner jettisons
>  one-and-a-half juggernaut-loads of untaxed fuel before landing at
>  its destination."
>
> The original information is taken from the British Airways Environmental
> Report 1994, which records 33 occurrences totalling 1260 tonnes in one year.

> (stuff snipped)

You're right about the Grundiage, but their article is wrong. No British
Airways aircraft (or any other aircraft I know of) need to dump fuel prior
to landing at their *destination*. We only dump fuel if, after Take Off,
a problem arises that necessitates us making a landing at an airfield
*OTHER* than our destination.

Generally speaking, we take off at a weight that is heavier than our
maximum landing weight. Ordinarily no problem, as you burn off the fuel,
and hence the weight en-route.

For example, I have just flown a Boeing 747 back from Miami to Gatwick
(landed this morning). Our Take Off weight was 319 tonnes, including 113
tonnes of fuel. Our max.  landing weight is 265 tonnes. So, if we had
suffered say an engine failure after Take Off, we would have had to reduce
our weight to 265 tonnes before landing back at Miami. That means we would
have had to dump 54 tonnes of fuel.

There has never, to my knowledge, been a case in B.A. where the aircraft
took off knowing it was going to dump fuel prior to landing at it's
oroginal destination. Doesn't make sense, does it?

--
Pete Finlay              ##   pete@meads.demon.co.uk
B.A. FLight Engineer     ##   paf3@student.open.ac.uk