Re: Fastest airliner ?

From:         jfc@mit.edu (John Carr)
Date:         30 Jul 95 13:02:10
Followups:    1 2 3

>While definitely not a hot-rod by the book, I think a DC-8 holds the
>speed record for a "subsonic" jetliner -- during a test flight, one
>went very slightly supersonic, which depending on altitude was around
>700-750 mph or so.  I'm not sure if a 707 has accomplished that feat
>or not.

A few years ago an airliner (a 727?) was hijacked.  The hijacker shot
the crew and the airplane did a power on dive into the ground.  I heard
that it went supersonic in the last seconds.  I'm not sure whether to
believe that -- 700 kts at low altitude is probably well above the
structural limit.

--
    John Carr (jfc@mit.edu)