Re: GE90 troubles make page 1 of the Wall St. Journal

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         30 Jul 95 13:02:07

>My guess that the "full-strength" GE90 engines will be a bit much for the
>stretch 747. Isn't GE pursuing a new generation CF6-80CX engine that might
>be a better fit?

I doubt they even need that.  Using the back of a virtual envelope,
assume a stretch gains 20% in weight and thrust.  That would give it
a MGTOW of over 1,000,000 lbs, significantly higher than they'll be
able to pull out of the 747.  But 20% more thrust would only be about
67,000 lbs per engine, slightly less than what's needed for an A330.
GE still uses the CF6-80 series for the A330, so I don't see them
needing to suffer the weight and drag penalties of the GE90 to power
a 747 stretch.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com
		|Work	kls@slac.stanford.edu
		|WWW	http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~kls/kls.html
Moderator of sci.aeronautics.airliners -- Unix/network guru to pay the bills