RE: ROLLS ROYCE TRENT 800's ON 777's

From:         Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia2.org>
Date:         28 Jul 95 02:53:20

In article <airliners.1995.1104@ohare.Chicago.COM> Thornton Shepherd (tshepherd@med-med1.bu.edu) wrote:

> Boeing is testing a 777 with Trent 800's that's painted in the livery of
> Cathay Pacific.  However, I read an article in Aviation Week that said
> Thai International would be the first to operate a Trent-powered 777.
> My question is, why would Boeing not fly the test plane in Thai colors if
> the carrier will be the launch customer?  Also, which carriers have
> selected the Trents to power their 777's?

Although Cathay ordered the B777 later than Thai did, Cathay probably
played a much more significant role in defining the Trent-powered B777
than Thai did.  Cathay is Rolls' most loyal customer.  Cathay's insistence
on an R-R-powered B747-400 resulted in R-R's abandonment of cooperation
with General Electric in developing high-thrust engines.  Cathay also
launched the Trent 700 which powers the A330.

Other than Cathay and Thai, Emirates and Transbrasil have also selected
the Trent 800 for their B777s.

--
  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org