Re: 747-300 Question

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         28 Jul 95 02:53:20

> Could have been, but wasn't.  Both KLM and UTA have 747-200B(SUD)
> aircraft, which were built as standard 747-200B models then modified
> with a Stretched Upper Deck *after* entering service, and JAL has

Pardon my ignorance, but it would seem to me that stretching the upper deck to
make it like that of the 300-400 series would be quite a complex operation. I
really wonder why an airline would go through the trouble to add a few more
seats.

Doesn't that involve moving the stairs ? Doesn't that involve changing
structural features to support the extended 2nd floor ? Doesn't that affect a
lot of wires and mechanical controls ? Doesn't that change the aircraft's
centre of gravity ? Aerodynamics ?

Would such a conversion actually make a 200 into a 300 as far as maintenance,
performance etc are concerned ? Or would these conversions simply extend the
top but keep the rest of the plane as a 200 ?