Re: PW4000 vs GE90

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         28 Jul 95 02:53:18

tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500) wrote:
>A recent Wall Street Journal article on the GE90 noted that the shutdown
>rate of the PW4000 was 7 times higher then that of the CF6.

And for years, Southwest Airlines had to report that the dispatch reliability
of its CFM-56 powered 737's was lower than its (aging) 727-200's, the JT9 had
problems when new, the CF-6 is less reliable than the JT8D, etc. etc. Seems to
me that the "old" engine (regardless of maker) in a comparison such as the
above *usually* has the lower shutdown rate or higher dispatch reliability.

>I personally wouldn't put any PW engine design that's newer than a JT8D on
>my airplane.

I've never heard a foul word uttered about the PW 2000 series.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029