Re: Boeing 717?

From:         eric@lfs.loral.com (Eric Burch)
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:42

In article <airliners.1995.981@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk> writes:
|> That is the first I've heard of a "non-7" Boeing. When I went on
|> the guided tour of the Boeing 747 assembly line in May this year,
|> someone asked why everything in Boeing ends with "7", and the
|> answer is: nobody knows!

One story I dimly remember reading (I think it was a book that
talked about the development of the 747) was that Boeing's popular
commercial pre-WWII airliner was the "272" and the "707" was
chosen because somebody liked the "xyx" numbering scheme and
the first few commercial jets were to be designated "707",
"717", and "727".  Or it may be a bad memory.

--
Eric Burch --  Loral Federal Systems -- Gaithersburg, MD
  eric@lfs.loral.com        usual disclaimers apply