Re: Boeing 720

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:40

On 10 Jul 1995, John Liebson wrote:

> First model designator was 707-020, changed to 717-020, *perhaps*
> because shorter fuselage more like the Model 717 (aka KC-135A).

	I don't think Boeing ever assigned the 717 model number
	to the 720 series, as it was always part of the 707 family.
	Admittedly, it *was* a *very* different animal (can you say
	Dutch Roll?), but on the CAA/FAA Type Certificate it's still
	a 707.  The 717 model number only applied to the military
	C-135 family, which, aside from a cosmetic external similarity,
	was a *completely* different airplane from the skin on down.
	If there is any Boeing documentation indicating a 720 ever being
	called a 717-anything, I'd love to get a copy of it.

Cheers,

Jennings Heilig