Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         showie@uoguelph.ca (Steve Howie)
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:37

Dennis L. Murphy (dlmurphy@scooter.neosoft.com) wrote:
: In article <airliners.1995.892@ohare.Chicago.COM> rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) writes:
: >The reason you see the 727 stairs down all the time is as a counter-
: >balance, so the airplane doesn't rock back on its tail with a light
: >fuel load.  Youwill often see a supporting rod  as well.

I think the rear stairs on the 727 can also be used to "clear out" stale
air and ventilate the cabin after landing. When I flew to Montego Bay on a
*very* old 727 .. the airstair was lowered after the plane was parked, but
the FA didn't allow anyone to deplane by that route - just the
conventional front door. There was a definite breeze through the cabin.
Anyone who has sat on the runway at MoBay will vouch for what welcome
relief this is! This was the only time they did this on the trip
YYZ->MBO-Santiago de Cuba->YYZ

Scotty
--
Steve Howie				Email:	showie@uoguelph.ca
NetNews and Gopher Admin.  		Phone:	(519) 824-4120 x2556