Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:35

>For the D.B. Cooper fans, the FAA required all ventril stairs to be disabled
>unless there is weight on wheels.  This prevents someone from using it as a
>parachute exit.

I was up at United's SFO Maintenance Center on Saturday for an open-
house they had to celebrate the 1st anniversary of employee ownership,
and they had a demo of a 727's flight surfaces and other large moving
parts that you don't normally see at work.  One thing which was noted
was a little device with a fin which would move in an airflow to block
the center door closed.  It was spring loaded so when the airflow died
down, it would spring back and allow the door to open.  There might
also be a tie-in to the WOW switch on the mains, but this is what a UA
test pilot said was the anti-D.B. Cooper device.

There was also a DC-10 which had the tailcone dropped down, and there
is a ladder built into it for access without any ground support.  Not
much appears to be accessible from there, so I'm not sure why they
bother to carry around the weight, but it's there.  (Ok, not an exit,
either, but you could see a DC-10 with the ladder down and think it
had stairs in the tail like the 727.)

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls