747-300 Question

From:         Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net>
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:32
Followups:    1 2 3

Karl and I have chatted briefly about this, but I'm searching for a
definitive answer.  I have a photo here of 747-366 (SCD) SU-GAM of
Egyptair.  Her c/n is 24162, and she was delivered in 1988, toward the
end of -300 production.  The photo clearly shows this aircraft
(definitely a -300 series) with the wingroot leading edge fairing like
the -400 series.  In the same book, there is a photo of 747-3D7, also a
late production -300 of Thai Airways, which has what appear to be PW4000
type nacelles similar to the -400 series.  The wingroot is not visible in
this photo, and the engines on the -366 above appear to be standard -300
style JT9D nacelles.

Does anyone know how these apparent hybrids came to be, why, how many
were built, and who got them?  I've heard that Varig had/has at least one
-300 with both the -400 style wingroots and the later style nacelles,
which would, for all intents and purposes, make it look externally just
like a 747-400SR, except that the only ones of those built thus far are
flying in Japan.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jennings Heilig