Re: Future of 757, 767

From:         tim@me.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi)
Date:         17 Jul 95 04:29:30

>>As I recall it, Boeing wanted a smaller seat count 757 in its original
>>proposals.

>John Nance, in The Sport Game, claims this was a major error by Boeing
>since the 727-200 had a market to itself in the 150-seat class, and
>the smaller 757 would have been the logical replacement.  The 757 as

The "smaller" 757 would be the never produced 757-100, but then again
the 737-400 must have been fairly far along in design at this point.
The last 737-400 I was on had a mixed layout for 140.

I take it that the per-seat operating costs of the 737-400 are
sufficiently below a 757-100 to make the construction of the latter
unprofitable. Alaska Airlines claims the 737-400 is the most
efficient airliner per passenger mile, any truth?

-tim