Re: Long term storage

From:         ryan75@PrimeNet.Com (Ryan Michael Stevens)
Date:         01 Feb 95 08:24:37

In article <airliners.1995.84@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>>The most striking example was a British Airways B767. Given that this
>>aircraft is still in production, I don't understand why it was stored
>>like this. One would think that it could be sold or leased instead of
>>letting it sit idle.

>While the photo captions didn't say so, I'd guess they were 767-200s.
>As far as I can trace, BA only had 5 of those, and while quite new,
>their smaller size and oddball nature (to BA) relative to the 767-300
>probably make them one of the first aircraft to be sidelined when the
>traffic levels are down.  BA may not want to sell them in case they
>need them when business picks up, and the current abundance of extra
>aircraft probably doesn't make leasing a good option either.  (The RR
>engines on the BA aircraft probably make them relatively undesireable
>lease candidates as well.)

>From what I recall of my last visit to Mojave, these were indeed the RR
powered -300 models.  The -200s that have been spotted in BA livery are CF6
powered variants from USAir, some of which are leased and some owned.  These
aircraft are scheduled to be sold (or returned to lessors) by USAir in a fleet
rationalization move, along with all 727s and some 737s.

On a somewhat ironic note, these aircraft are at the same storage area that
also hold several ex-BA L-1011s.  These L-1011s were used as partial
payment to Boeing towards the purchase of previously mention 767-300s, a sort
of trade in, if you will...

Recently, RR did get another customer for the RB-211H as a powerplant for the
767.  Flight International notes that China Yunnan have ordered three
RR-powered 767-300s, with deliveries to start in May 1996.  It seems that this
was a change of order from a previously unannounced order for three 757s, and
was prompted by the need for a widebody aircraft.  There was also the matter
of paying penalties to both Boeing and Rolls Royce, particularly in the event
they switched to another manufacturer's product (in this case, the A300-600
was in the running for this order).

Best regards,

Ryan Stevens