Re: FLY-BY-WIRE (AIRBUS vs. BOEING)

From:         bosc@perige.eis.enac.dgac.fr (Jean-Francois Bosc)
Date:         12 Jul 95 01:42:31

In article <airliners.1995.990@ohare.Chicago.COM>, aboyd@qnx.com (Andrew Boyd) writes:

> A friend of mine flies A310s for the military.  He says that 95% of
> the time, you sit there and watch it fly the a/c.  The other 5% of
> the time, you stop it from doing something wrong :(
>
> According to him, the recent airbus crash in romania was another
> stupid computer trick ... apparently, in a left climbing turn,
> thrust was reduced (probably for noise abatement) and the right
> throttle stuck open.  So, the airbus computer helpfully reduced
> the thrust on the left engine to zero (in the climbing left hand
> turn) and they rolled upside down.  Oops.

According to the official investigation report, a problem with
the throttle had been reported on this aircraft during the previous
flight and a few others before. Nothing had been done to fix it.

When the copilot noticed the problem, the pilot just replied :
"That one doesn't work", and did nothing. Absolutely no input from
the pilot has been recorded on the FDR until it was far too late.

Moreover, I never read or heard any comment suggesting that this
was anything else than a failure on this particular aircraft.
Apparently it had nothing to do with a computer misconception, bug,
or whatever you want to call it.

JF