Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500)
Date:         10 Jul 95 16:36:57

>The DC-9 does not have arstairs.  You are confusing it with the 727,
>which lowers airstairs out the back.

>The DC-9 does have an emergency exit in the back tailcone, but it is not
>used for normal operations.

The original DC9-10 did not have aft airstairs but every DC-9 derivate
since the -30 has had aft-mounted airstairs. I have worked an Air Canada
DC-9 that did not have aft airstairs but did have the forward airstairs. I
believe it was a -30 ( this was 7 or 8 years ago ) so perhaps the rear
stairs are an option.

All of DLs DC-9/MD80 and MD90 have aft airstairs and no forward stairs.

Deltas 737s (301-333) have forward stairs but the airplanes picked up from
WAL did not. Those airplanes that don't have the stairs have ballast in
the forward bag bin. This weight takes up a space about 2 1/2 to 3 feet
square and is about 4 inches thick. I think it's better to just keep the
stairs on the airplane since it makes it much easier to deal with when the
airplane is moved away from the gate to be worked on or just parked
overnight.