Re: passenger stairs in aircraft tail

From:         Martin Fiddler <entmlf@staffs.ac.uk>
Date:         10 Jul 95 16:36:56

On 27 Jun 95 01:43:14 Robert Dorsett <rdd@netcom.com> wrote:

>The DC-9 does not have airstairs.  You are confusing it with the 727, which
>lowers airstairs out the back.

No I'm not!!  I've been on a DC9 (Adria Airways) from Tirana (Albania) to
Ljubjana (Slovenia) and entered via the rear stairs.  Several times!  They
lower from the back, complete with a kerosine-covered handrail.

>The DC-9 does have an emergency exit in the back tailcone, but it is not
>used for normal operations.

I agree - on the rear pressure door, in flight, there were instructions
about emergency exit, where the tailcone is jetisoned and a slide deploys.
There are still passenger stairs as well, though!

Martin