Re: 747 100/200 differentiation question

From:         Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia2.org>
Date:         10 Jul 95 16:36:55

In <airliners.1995.1019@ohare.Chicago.COM> concorde@ecst.csuchico.edu (Bryan H.
Lang) writes:

> As a quick visual differentiation between the 747-100 and -200, I had always
> thought that the trailing edge of the engine pylon worked well. The -100
> had an almost straight trailing edge leading up to the wing, whereas the
> -200 trailing edge extended aft, curved up sharply, then straightened out
> to the wing.

There were many upgrade/growth versions of the JT9D engines.  I've noticed
the pylon change only when the -7Q was introduced around 1979.  The thrust
increased from 50,000 lb for the -7J to 53,000 lb for the -7Q.  So, I
think it's obvious what the enlarged pylons are for.  Since, the -200 was
first delivered in the early 1970s, there must be many -200s with the
"straight trailing edge" pylons.

> Were many -200 aircraft made with the straight pylon trailing edge? And
> is there another reliable way to visually differentiate the 747 classics?

Most of the -100s have only three windows on the upper deck, while the
-200s have ten windows.  However, as many have pointed out before, it is
not always true.

         |  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org  |