Re: Boeing 737 crash

From:         cjd@mround.british-telecom.co.uk (Chris Durrant)
Date:         01 Feb 95 02:16:21

Ian Urquhart wrote;

>Please excuse my ignorance but what is QNH and QFE?  I hold a US
>commercial certificate and instrument rating and have not come across
>these terms.  There is only one altimeter setting and that's it.
>Simple.  Do Canadian pilots deal with this QNH and QFE business?
>Just interested.

QNH and QFE are relics of the old 'Q' code used as abbreviations in the days
of wireless telegraphy (morse code).

	QNH is airfield or area pressure adjusted to a sea-level equivilant

	QFE is actual pressure at the airfield reference point

Civil approaches may be flown either on QNH throughout with due allowance being
made for threshold elevation or initially on QNH but changed to QFE inside the
final approach fix (typically).

Out of interest other survivors in common use in the UK include;

	QNE is standard pressure of 1013.25 mb

	QSY is 'I am changing frequency to'

	QDR is magnetic bearing from (radial)

	QTE is true bearing from