Re: 747 100/200 differentiation question

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         10 Jul 95 03:18:19

>As a quick visual differentiation between the 747-100 and -200, I had
>always thought that the trailing edge of the engine pylon worked well.
>That worked fine until yesterday at Changi. An Olympic 747 SX-OAB had the
>-100 pylon's trailing edge - but the aircraft was clearly labeled a -200.

You may have been comparing aircraft with two different types of
engines -- SX-OAB is a 747-284B with the JT9D-7J engines, similar to
those used on a 747-100.  An aircraft with Rolls-Royce engines would
have a very different looking pylon due to the shorter engine, and
there's a fair chance the pylon for the GE engines would be visibly
different too.

>is there another reliable way to visually differentiate the 747 classics?

In general, there is no way to visually differentiate a 747-100 and
a 747-200.  In specific cases, you may be able to tell by a process
of elimination -- if you recognize the engines (RR are especially
distinctive but you can differentiate GE and PW as well) then if it
has RR or GE engines, it must be a -200, since all -100s had JT9Ds.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ohare.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls