Re: Boeing 720

From:         jliebson@roadrunner.com (John Liebson)
Date:         10 Jul 95 03:18:17

rna@status.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) wrote:

>I heard the 720 designator was a sop to United, which would buy them
>but only if they weren't labelled "707".  They're just a short 707,
>is my understanding.

Pity this aircraft, it had an identity problem:

First model designator was 707-020, changed to 717-020, *perhaps*
because shorter fuselage more like the Model 717 (aka KC-135A).

Boeing decided, for reasons I don't know, that 717-020 would not do,
either, hence 720-020; again, precisely how that model was chosen is
unknown.

Not really "just a short 707": The wing is quite different from the
707's, with the sweep of the leading edge between the inboard nacelles
and hull having been increased to provide a double taper; Krueger
leading edge flaps added nearly full-span. 9 feet shorter hull,
considerably lighter, although many structural parts and systems from
707 used.