Re: Lufthansa Chair sees no superjumbos

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         08 Jul 95 15:01:55

>>What about the sonic boom? I thought most countries banned Concorde from
>>going supersonic over land, and this severely restricts viable routes.

With today's technology which can produce the stealth bomber, is it reasonable
to expect that a second generation SST plane would generate a much "quieter"
sonic boom ? Can they not create a plane whose shape and materials and engines
attenuate the sonic boom ?

As well, with a plane at over 30k feet altitude, does the sonic boom sound
really bother the folks on the ground ?

I know that part of the reluctance to allow the Concorde to land was the high
noise during the take-off and landing. Was that the major stumbling block for
the Concorde, or was it really the sonic boom while it was at cruising altitude
?