Re: 737-100

From:         m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         10 Mar 94 02:39:52 PST

In article <airliners.1994.981@orchard.Chicago.COM> Tobias Henry Lutterodt <luterodt@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> writes:

[snip]

>Incidentally, other operators of
>737-100s included Ansett New Zealand (with ex-Lufthansa aircraft) and
>NASA with one aircraft (I believe the first one built) used for
>running experiments.

Yup.  Airframe Number 1.  Has two cockpits... the one up front is normal,
while the one in back (near where coach-class seating would start) is all
glass with sidestick controllers.  Much of the original design work that
ended up in the B757/767 was done using this aircraft by a team of NASA and
Boeing engineers way back when.  It was recently used for a whole spate of
windshear sensor and display tests, and has also hosted an experiment in
which national and regional radar information is datalinked to the cockpit.
Interesting stuff!

>Two questions:
>Is NASA replacing its 737 with a 757 as I have read somewhere?

Yes.  But I haven't heard yet what the disposition of the old aircraft will
be.  Wanna put in a bid?  :-)

>(Why) is there no 777-100, not even as a paper "light" version of the
>   aircraft which entered production?

Can't answer this one...  Karl?  Robert?

--Mike

Michael T. Palmer (m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov)
Flight Deck Research Branch, Flight Dynamics and Control Division
M/S 321, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia 23681-0001
Voice: +1 804 864-2044, Fax: +1 804 864-7793