Re: NASA DC8 #717

From:         kbarr@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Keith Barr)
Date:         07 Mar 94 15:12:51 PST

In article <airliners.1994.977@orchard.chicago.com>,
Bob Coggeshall <Bob.Coggeshall@HK.Super.NET> wrote:
>So there has been an interesting aircraft sitting on the tarmac at
>Kai Tak here in Hong Kong - it looks like a short DC8 but with modern
>turbofans, and several odd-looking sensors and intakes mounted about
>the fuselage.
>
>So it is a research aircraft. But what kind ?

NASA 717 is a research DC-8.  In fact, I was at Ames (working with NASA 709,
an ER-2) when it left for HK about two weeks ago.  I don't know all of the
instruments on board for this project, which is called PEM-WEST and is
a stratospheric chemistry project, but normally there are numerous air
samplers that analyze the size and types of particles the aircraft flies
through.
                                                      _/____/