PDX crash

From:         d_peters@uoft02.utoledo.edu
Date:         07 Mar 94 15:12:49 PST

The crash you reference in Portland was a United DC8.  I no longer have the
NTSB report but I looked in my training materials to refresh myself.

My materials did not address the original problem/delay issue which led to the
fuel starvation/exhaustion, but was concerned with "crew concept" and "cockpit
resource management"  A captain that did not listen to warnings from his crew
and a first officer that was not "forceful" enough presenting the EXTREME fuel
state to the captain.  An unfortunate part of the accident is the Engineer
was concious, VERY concious, of the fuel state and repeatedly mentioned to the
captain.  The captain subsequently *ordered* him to leave the cockpit (he was
killed in the accident).

This accident did not have to happen (obviously) and was a major factor in
forcing airlines to adopt CRM techniques and to put the "heat" on old time
"authoritarian" captains.  In some cases actually forcing early retirement
on those who would just not listen.

I wish I could say I didn't know many of this kind of captain - not true.
My early days in the airlines were filled with this type of captain.  Now,
however they are mostly gone and captains listen more, though some still
must be forced to listen - occasionally.

Dave Peters            -=  d_peters@uoft02.utoledo.edu  =-
ATP: Lr-jet,DC9,B727
12,000+ afh   former Midway (and a couple of others)