DC-10/DC-8 crash in Oregon

From:         JOHNWAT@dlmv0b.dal.mobil.com (John T. Watson - 214-951-2813)
Date:         01 Mar 94 01:31:53 PST

Karl is correct in regards to the DC-10/DC-8 crash in Oregon.  It was a United
stretched DC-8.  Also to my knowledge, no DC-10 has crashed in the Oregon area.

I was working on my instrument rating shortly after the crash became well known
and my instructor talked about it.  The United flight had a unsafe gear light
and the captain chose to move out of the airport traffic area to a holding
pattern to try and correct the problem.  The flight engineer began dumping fuel
in preparation for a partial wheels up landing.  After some slight period of
time, it was discovered that with fuel dumping they were too low on fuel they
headed toward the airport.  They flamed out on a long final and went down in a
wooded section.  Because of the lack of fuel there was no fire.  However, there
were fatallities including at least one of the cockpit crew.

It was the second crash of a large airliner that can be blamed on an unsafe gear
light, or lack of a safe (green) light.  The other being the Eastern L-1011 that
went down in the Florida Everglades.

john watson
jtwatson@dal.mobil.com
Dallas, Texas