Re: assorted

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         23 Feb 94 12:05:58 PST

In article <airliners.1994.936@orchard.Chicago.COM> Tobias Henry Lutterodt <luterodt@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> writes:
>>The aft stairway in the 727 was NOT meant as some sort of stabilizer.
>
>This is flamebait!!!  As was stated earlier, the aft stairway is
>a very clever combination of a stabilizer *and* a means for
>passengers and crew to get in and out.

The AIAA case study of the 727, which was published around 1976, and
authored by several members of the 727 design team, indicated that on one
of the early test flights, the crew were startled to have the airplane
rock back, due to an aft CG with empty tanks.  The airstair-down position
followed as a recommended practice, first on the -100 series, and was
complemented with screw-in posts for later aircraft.  I've never seen any
suggestion that this was an a priori design feature.

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org
...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd