Re: Tupolev TU-144: Where are you now?

From:         rteasdal@galaxy.csc.calpoly.edu (Russell Graham Teasdale)
Date:         23 Feb 94 12:05:56 PST

In article <airliners.1994.926@orchard.chicago.com>,
 <MANNING@UHUPVM1.UH.EDU> wrote:
>I recently read a book by Howard Moon about the development and
>ultimate failure of the Tupolev TU-144, the Soviet SST.
>The book ended without a clear indication of what actually happened
>to the prototype and production models of the aircraft.  This is most
>likely due to the cool relations our nations had in the past.  Since
>the collapse of the old Communist order, has any information been
>learned about the current disposition the the TU-144?
>Additionally, the plane was in very limited and sporadic scheduled
>service for a short time.  Did anyone happen to fly on the TU-144?
>I would think that such an experience by a Westerner would be
>EXTREMELY rare.  Just wondering.....

	The remaining TU-144s are still flying, mostly as testbeds for
supersonic research. They've been debugged to the point where there
don't seem to have been any repeat performances of the 1973 Paris Air
Show disaster, but they'll never see scheduled passenger service again.

	There was a recent article in World Airpower Journal about a
visit to the Ramenskoye flight test center outside Moscow - or what
I'd been in the habit of calling Ramenskoye, at least, the name used
by native Russians being different. (Can't recall what it's really
named, sorry.) There are a couple of TU-144s sitting about on ramps
with instrumentation packages, differing nose assemblages, and so forth.

	I believe that a handful of Western passengers managed to get
onto the Aeroflot supersonic service. The TU-144 interior was apparently
extremely noisy and there were unpleasant airframe vibration problems
throughout. Hardly up to Concorde standards.

--
||||||||   Russ Teasdale -- rteasdal@galaxy.CalPoly.EDU  --  (Rusty)  |||||||||
"Gentlemen, if we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - D. Quayle