Re: DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         rma@ahrens.rtp.dg.com (Rich Ahrens)
Date:         23 Feb 94 12:05:50 PST

In article <airliners.1994.934@orchard.Chicago.COM> wave@u.washington.edu (David A. Lee) writes:
>The aft stairway in the 727 was NOT meant as some sort of stabilizer.
>It was simply a built in stairway for smaller airports without
>moving stairways.  Note the built in stairway in the 737-100
>that retracts out from below the front side main entry door.
>
>The rear stairway use for passenger loading was discontinued
>for security reasons sometime in the mid-1980s.

Well, not entirely. I have had to enter and leave 727s via the rear
stairs several times on Alaska Airlines since then. The occasion I
remember most vividly may have been exceptional though. We landed VERY
hard on a rainy, foggy night in Ketchikan (is there any other kind?),
popping most of the ceiling panels loose and rattling a lot of teeth.
The crew then had difficult opening the forward left door to the jetway,
and there was an announcement about having bent something. So they
unloaded down the tail stairs and reboarded the same way. Lots of wet
people were wondering aloud about the safety of continuing on, but we
made it to to Juneau with no incident. Can't remember if the tail stairs
were used again there.

|Rich Ahrens, Data General Corporation                     rma@irvine.dg.com |
|2603 Main St, Ste 400, Irvine,CA 92714-6232      rich_ahrens@dgc.ceo.dg.com |
|Voice: 714-724-3934                                                         |
|FAX:   714-724-3989                                                         |