Re: DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         bwalts@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Brandon Walts)
Date:         23 Feb 94 12:05:47 PST

In article <airliners.1994.934@orchard.Chicago.COM> wave@u.washington.edu (David A. Lee) writes:
>In article <airliners.1994.915@orchard.chicago.com>,
>Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:
>>imbalance of the Il-62's four aft-mounted engines.  The 727 suffers
>>the same problem, except the clever folks in Seattle disguised the
>>prop as the aft stairs, which you always (or almost always) see down
>>while the plane is at the gate.  (The DC-9, VC-10, and Trident may
>>

>BZZZT!  NOT!
>
>The aft stairway in the 727 was NOT meant as some sort of stabilizer.
>It was simply a built in stairway for smaller airports without
>moving stairways.  Note the built in stairway in the 737-100
>that retracts out from below the front side main entry door.

True- it may have been intended for pax loading, but it came
in handy to hold up the tail, after it was discovered that the
727 had an annoying tendency to tip backward in certain configurations.
There was an extensive discussion of this on this group a few months ago.

>The rear stairway use for passenger loading was discontinued
>for security reasons sometime in the mid-1980s.

>D.B. Cooper jumped out of a 727 somewhere over Washington State
>from the stairway in mid flight.

After the D.B. Cooper incident, the rear stairway was modified so the
door could not be opened in flight.  The rear-stairs are still used
for loading.  There's a 1992 issue of Air Transport World where the
"cover model" is a USAir shuttle 727 unloading via the rear stairs.

bwalts@lamar.colostate.edu | ude.etatsoloc.ramal@stlawb
My opinions, not CSU's     |     s'USC ton ,snoinipo yM