Algorithms for TCAS

From:         wohlsen@sri.com
Date:         22 Feb 94 13:50:19 PST

  I understand that the collision detection and avoidance
algorithms used in TCAS products were developed by MITRE
Corporation for the FAA. I also understand some TCAS systems, when
operated around airports, tend to be a little paranoid and warn of
possible collisions when in fact there is no threat.  Better to be
safe than sorry I suppose.  Does anyone know if the TCAS
algorithms employ any mechanism for reasoning with uncertainty,
e.g., fuzzy logic, belief networks?  Also, can someone please
direct me to the correct group within MITRE to ask this question
directly?

Thank you.

Bob Wohlsen
bob_wohlsen@qm.sri.com