Re: Little red strips of fabric on the wing????

From:         spagiola@leland.stanford.edu (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         16 Feb 94 13:13:46 PST

Karl Swartz writes
> > On a recent US Air flight the aircraft had 4 or 5 strips of 1"
> > wide cloth type material (~12" long) attached to the wing, about
> > 2' from the fuselage.
>
> This was an MD-80, or perhaps a DC-9, right?  If so, these were
> added after the SAS crash several years ago.  ...  The cloth
> strips are there to help make [wing icing problems] visible.

I believe you're right about what they are, but I'm not sure you have
the timing right.  I distinctly remember seeing these on a Finnair
MD-87 in December 1988.  The SAS MD-80 crash was Jan.92 or
thereabouts, was it not?

Perhaps they had been an option and were made mandatory after the SAS
crash?

--
Ciao, Stefano
---