Re: DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         wave@u.washington.edu (David A. Lee)
Date:         16 Feb 94 01:10:41 PST
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1994.915@orchard.chicago.com>,
>imbalance of the Il-62's four aft-mounted engines.  The 727 suffers
>the same problem, except the clever folks in Seattle disguised the
>prop as the aft stairs, which you always (or almost always) see down
>while the plane is at the gate.  (The DC-9, VC-10, and Trident may
>--
>Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
>1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls
>		|Snail	2144 Sand Hill Rd., Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
> Send sci.aeronautics.airliners submissions to airliners@chicago.com

BZZZT!  NOT!

The aft stairway in the 727 was NOT meant as some sort of stabilizer.
It was simply a built in stairway for smaller airports without
moving stairways.  Note the built in stairway in the 737-100
that retracts out from below the front side main entry door.

The rear stairway use for passenger loading was discontinued
for security reasons sometime in the mid-1980s.

D.B. Cooper jumped out of a 727 somewhere over Washington State
from the stairway in mid flight.

David
(Seattle resident, Boeing is in my backyard, my dad a 37 year
vetren of the Lazy B as an engineer)

--
"But can a giant ant-eater get hold of Vicks Vapor Rub?  WELL NO!
 But he can ask a FRIEND to get some!"