Re: DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         John.Stone@bris.ac.uk (JR. Stone)
Date:         16 Feb 94 01:10:23 PST

Robert Ashcroft (rna@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
> Also, I read somewhere that the IL-62 _was_ badly designed re:weight,
> to the point that in some versions they had to carry water ballast in

  I understand that 747's (and possibly others) carry depleted uranium in
  the nose for ballast - lots of mass in a small volume. Don't suppose
  you could say that _they_ were badly designed :-) Does create a bit of
  local concern when they crash, though.

--
  John Stone, Civil Engineering, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
    John.Stone@bristol.ac.uk - Tel: +44 272 288262 - FAX: +44 272 303889