Anti-collison lights

From:         "Jackson D. Busenbark" <11JBUSENBARK@gallua.gallaudet.edu>
Date:         11 Feb 94 03:55:11 PST

I posted this question to rec.travel.air, but got no response.  I figure this
newsgroup is more appropriate.  Here goes:

Excuse me for being so technical, but a couple weeks ago when I was at DCA, I
noticed that on, for example, the 727 the red anti-collison lights were the
strobe type.  Simple, right?  But wait.  On some other 727's, were the
rotating-beacon types of anti-collison lights.  This prompted me to come to a
theory that customers opt for a certain type (strobe or rotating beacon) of
anti-collison lights when they buy their planes.

Now, why would they do this?  What are the pros and cons of each?

Just a nagging little detail that has been on my mind these past days...

-Jackson D. Busenbark
11jbusenbark@gallua.gallaudet.edu
Gallaudet University
Washington, D.C.