Re: Aircraft not toppling onto rear (VC10)

From:         megazone@yoyodyne.WPI.EDU (MegaZone)
Date:         10 Feb 94 06:52:01 PST

greg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory R. TRAVIS) shaped the electrons to say:
>In <airliners.1994.918@orchard.Chicago.COM> julian@gatwick.sgp.slb.com writes:
>>c) Overly strong fuelage and wing construction (Comet legacy) so lots of
>>   weight ahead of the main wheels.
>Comet legacy?  I distinctly remember several Comets coming apart in
>mid-air.  Or are you saying that the redesigned Comets were over-engineered

After the Comet problems, the industry over-built some designs, until
testing methods allowed for less material as the designs we improved...

>>d) 90% + of payload located ahead of main wheels (I think that's about right)
>Is this true?  How the heck do you rotate, or flare, a VC10?  I find
>this hard to believe, considering they have four aft-mounted engines!

Payload...  That's the key word, not structure weight.  Though from looking
at the aircraft, I don't think it's 90%, probably around 70% or so...  But
that's judging by the amount of fuselage fore and aft of the mains.

--
megazone@wpi.wpi.edu  megazone@world.std.com  megazone@hotblack.schunix.dmc.com
 "I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity.  Use your mind, think!"