Re: DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         08 Feb 94 23:33:09 PST

In article <airliners.1994.915@orchard.chicago.com>, Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> wrote:

>True to a lot of folklore, there's probably some basis for the Russian
>tipping plane as well -- the Il-62 has a small strut and wheel at the
>rear that's used to keep the plane from tipping while it's parked.
>This isn't a design flaw but rather an artifact of the inherent weight
>imbalance of the Il-62's four aft-mounted engines.  The 727 suffers
>the same problem, except the clever folks in Seattle disguised the
>prop as the aft stairs, which you always (or almost always) see down
>while the plane is at the gate.  (The DC-9, VC-10, and Trident may
>also do the same, I'm not sure offhand.)

Karl, the IL-62 is a clear copy of the _V_C-10.  Couldn't that account
for the story about the "DC-10 copy" that tipped?  (especially if later
on, someone heard that a DC-10 had tipped, and considering that few
Americans even know the existence of the VC-10 (which, for you
alt.folklore.urban folks, is a British aircraft unrelated to the DC-10))

Also, I read somewhere that the IL-62 _was_ badly designed re:weight,
to the point that in some versions they had to carry water ballast in
the nose.

RNA