DC 10-ski topples on to its rear when unloaded!

From:         pypbf@csv.warwick.ac.uk (D.M.Procida)
Date:         08 Feb 94 02:15:55 PST

Alt.folklore.urban people please note: I have cross-posted this to
sci.aeronautics.airliners. s.a.a is a very polite group, so remember your
manners, and change the followup line when things start to get silly.

A friend-of-a-friend, who has spent the last several month in Russia, told
the following story:

The Russians 'copied' the DC-10 as soon as they could. That is, they
immediately built an aeroplane with three engines- one on the tail- of
approximately the same size and capabilities. However, since they were simply
copying its general features, it so happened that 'they balanced it all
wrong, and before all the passengers get out they have to put a wheel under
it at the back otherwise its front tips up and the back hits the ground'. I
expressed polite skepticism.

The concept of 'copying' another aeroplane is a very familiar one in aviation
folklore, but I think it's probably a very dubious one too. An aeroplane
isn't the kind of thing which easily admits of copying.

Have the Russians ever built an aeroplane along the lines of the DC-10
anyway? I know they're supposed to have copied just about every other
aeroplane that the west has put into the air.

The story of the tipping aeroplane rings a distant bell, but still sounds
perfectly implausible.

We on alt.folklore.urban would be delighted to have some True Knowledge from
the aeroplane people.

Daniele "How much should one tip an aeroplane?" Procida