Re: Lufthansa advertisements, A340

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         02 Feb 94 13:27:27 PST

In article <airliners.1994.894@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
>Actually, I remember reading in AW&ST that Middle-Eastern countries
>preferred four engine models over two engine -- I think because if they
>lost an engine, there are a lot of places they don't want to HAVE to
>land.  It may not be rational, but not all buyers and fliers are
>rational.

Not rational?  Of course it's rational.  If you're going to plunk down
5% of the gross national product for an airplane, you don't want to risk
having to land on the soil of a hostile neighbor, and then risk losing the
service of the airplane (while accruing finance charges) while it is
"processed."

Case in point: has Iran given Iraq back all its fighters and airliners?  I
think not. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org