Re: Lufthansa advertisements, A340

From:         ferg0012@gold.tc.umn.edu ()
Date:         02 Feb 94 01:35:07 PST

In <airliners.1994.893@ohare.Chicago.COM> libove@tom.alf.dec.com (Jay Vassos-Libove) writes:

>Lufthansa is hyping not only the newness of the A340, but
>the fact that it is a four engine plane.  I presume that this
>is to play on the (irrational, unsupported by statistical fact)
>fears of some travellers, about not having "as many engines
>as possible".

Actually, I remember reading in AW&ST that Middle-Eastern countries
preferred four engine models over two engine -- I think because if they
lost an engine, there are a lot of places they don't want to HAVE to
land.  It may not be rational, but not all buyers and fliers are
rational.

Rob Ferguson
History of Science and Technology
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities