Lufthansa advertisements, A340

From:         libove@tom.alf.dec.com (Jay Vassos-Libove)
Date:         26 Jan 94 04:13:04 PST
Followups:    1 2 3 4

I heard, this morning on a local Atlanta radio station, an
advertisement for Lufthansa... who is offering service from
Atlanta to Frankfurt on the Airbus 340.

Of more social engineering than aeronautical engineering note,
I suppose, is what I found most interesting about the ad:

Lufthansa is hyping not only the newness of the A340, but
the fact that it is a four engine plane.  I presume that this
is to play on the (irrational, unsupported by statistical fact)
fears of some travellers, about not having "as many engines
as possible".

Anyway, I thought that the audience of sci.aeronautics.airliners
would find this advertisement interesting.

(Technical question, to justify the posting... WHY did Airbus
design a 4 engine plane in the days of large Twins??)

--

Jay Vassos-Libove                  libove@alf.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation      decwrl!alf.dec.com!libove