Powering portables in flight...

From:         reb@ingres.com (Phydeaux)
Date:         17 Jan 94 01:33:56 PST

As a lot of flyers travel with portable electronic equipment, how difficult
would it be for airlines to provide power for these devices?  The question
has been in my mind for some time, but I just realized how they could do
it.

The car cigarette lighter (12v-13.4vDC) seems like the most universal
receptacle for these things.  Most manufacturers of portable equipment
offer power adapters that will run things off of this kind of outlet.

I assume the main reason this is not available is because nobody ever asked
about it.  Also, portable computers, my primary interest in this, have only
really become prolific in the last few years.  I can also imagine a plane
full of 400 people all of whom have things plugged in.  I guess you'd
probably need a lot of equipment to power all of that stuff.  Perhaps they
could only offer it to the first class cabin. Perhaps battery technology
has improved so over the years that this is not really a necessity after
all.

I'd be interested in what thoughts others have on this.

                                                                reb