Reverse Thrust

From:         mikeg@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.com (Mike Galat)
Date:         06 Jan 94 01:54:09 PST

>>I saw one AMR's 727 at Rochester airport pushing it self in reverse
>>direction just by its own engines.
>
>This has been discussed on the net in the past, maybe here, maybe in
>rec.travel.air or one of the rec.aviation.* groups.  The bottom line
>is that yes, some jets are capable of pushing themselves back, but the
>practice doesn't seem to be all that common.  I recall mention of both
>American and Southwest doing this, with American most frequently doing
>it with MD-80s.

I first encountered this, if memory serves me, flying aboard Eastern DC9's.
It seems to me that they could do this only at certain airports, but
I believe the practice is more common than eluded to.

I now live near Minneapolis/St. Paul airport (MSP), and own a scanner.
Very often I hear pilots requesting clearance to 'Powerback'.  I figure it
must save some money for the airline, since they don't have to pay someone
to drive the tug.  It also seems to be a faster way to clear out of a gate,
no need to wait for the tug to be unhooked, just nugde the reversers out
of reverse, and give it some thrust!

On the downside, I don't know if there are problems with engine wear, due to
stuff being thrown up from the tarmac, and being sucked into the engines.

Mike