Re: Unducted fans?

From:         ckd@kei.com (Christopher Davis)
Date:         06 Jan 94 01:53:57 PST

KS> == Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.Chicago.COM>

 KS> I once saw [the prototype MD-80] at Mojave, with an extra-long pylon
 KS> but no #1 engine at that point.  Boeing did the same thing with a
 KS> 727.  Seems to me the MD-80 had a GE engine while the 727 had a
 KS> Pratt, but I wouldn't bet on it.

My recollection was that the 727 was testing the GE UDF (big, blatant GE
stickers all over the nacelle), which would imply that the MD-80 was
testing the Pratt & Whitney unducted fan.

Note that the 727-100 in question was later used in the movie "Hero" as
the airplane at the crash scene (yes, it's been broken up).  (This was in
"Airliners" magazine a few issues back.)
--
* Christopher Davis * <ckd@kei.com> * (was <ckd@eff.org>) * MIME * [CKD1] *
  "It's 106 ms to Chicago, we've got a full disk of GIFs, half a meg of