Ground Speed of 747 (size/reminders to keep it slow)

From:         libove@jerry.alf.dec.com (Jay Vassos-Libove)
Date:         04 Jan 94 22:52:34 PST

In article <airliners.1993.817@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:

   From: rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
   Date: 17 Dec 93 01:52:58 PST

   In article <airliners.1993.805@ohare.Chicago.COM>, libove@jerry.alf.dec.com
   (Jay Vassos-Libove) writes:
   |> The speed was deceptive too, on landing; because I was
   |> watching indicators and seeing the runway, the visual
   |> cues (lies, actually) made it seem that the plane was not
   |> travelling at the ~150 (?) knots that it lands at, but
   |> instead seemed to be going much more slowly.

   It's the size of the thing.  I've also read that pilots upgrading to
   the 747 have to be warned about taxiing too fast.

Now that you mention it, once we were on the ground and taxiing,
the flight engineer repeatedly called out the ground speed, even
when we were in the middle of a taxiway with hundreds of feet
of nothing in front of us.

The captain kept the 747 rolling at a maximum ground speed of
4 knots, slowing to 2 about 200 feet out from the gate, and
then to 1 as we got to maybe 50 feet away.

--

Jay Vassos-Libove                  libove@alf.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation      decwrl!alf.dec.com!libove