Re: Reverse Thrust.

From:         tilman@netcom.com (Tilman Spokert)
Date:         04 Jan 94 22:52:31 PST

In article <airliners.1993.821@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>>I saw one AMR's 727 at Rochester airport pushing it self in reverse
>>direction just by its own engines.
>
>This has been discussed on the net in the past, maybe here, maybe in
>rec.travel.air or one of the rec.aviation.* groups.  The bottom line
>is that yes, some jets are capable of pushing themselves back, but the
>practice doesn't seem to be all that common.  I recall mention of both
>American and Southwest doing this, with American most frequently doing
>it with MD-80s.

It seems to be the standard operating practice for American in Dallas-Fort Worth
with MD-80s. Last time I changed planes there, the MD-80 I was in did this,
as well as the MD-80's to the left and right.

On the other hand, I read in a Lufthansa "Bordbuch" (the magazine you find in
the seatpocket), that, yes it is possible with some airplaens, but it is
considered "bad style" or "bad manners". They cite environmental reasons,
like noise, exhausts, etc.

Actually, Lufthansa is moving the other way - they introduced an advanced
"tractor" for their wide bodies that is shaped a little bit like a U (no axle
between the back wheels, opening instead). It takes the front landing gear in
its middle, and actually lifts it off the ground (you can actually feel it if
you sit towards the front of a 747), and then takes it away. This has the
advantage that they can move planes around without somebody being in the
cockpit, because with this setup the tractor can stop the plane safely. They
were also experimenting (also I have not seen it used yet) driving the plane
all the way to the takeoff point with this tractor. The plane's engines would
not get started until it reaches the takeoff area.

--
Tilman Sporkert  					tilman@netcom.com