Re: I sat in a 747 cockpit through the landing!

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         04 Jan 94 22:52:27 PST

In article <airliners.1993.816@ohare.Chicago.COM> Nicolas Ercan Murat <vis@leland.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>To my knowledge, there's nothing wrong with being on the flight deck of
>a non-american airline.

This is not a hard and fast rule.  While it is true that the United States
prohibits all non-authorized access to the cockpit of a carrier operating
under FAR 121 after the doors close, other countries do, too.  More, though,
leave it up to captain's discretion.  Many of those airlines, however, attempt
to balance a general security policy with that discretion, so some airlines
which previously allowed it are being a bit more hard-nosed (depending on the
political climate).

In any case, passengers certainly have no *right* to cockpit access.  The
crew is there to fly the airplane, not entertain guests.

>vis@leland.stanford.edu
>
>One of the scarce Airbus Supporters this side of the Atlantic.

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org
...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd