Unducted fans?

From:         JTCHEW@lbl.gov (Ad absurdum per aspera)
Date:         04 Jan 94 22:52:20 PST

Watching an MD-Eightysomething taxi by made me wonder:  what
happened to unducted fans?  For a while there in the early
80s, it looked (to this layman) as though they were just a
bit of R&D and one good marketing push away from taking over
the world, or at least the part of the world whose engine
nacelles are far enough off the ground.  I seem to recall that
somebody even bolted a prototype onto one side of a DC-9 and
flew it around.  But it never clicked.  What gives?

Thanks,

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"