Re: Engines CAN jettison (Was Rear engined aircraft. (727 DC9 MD80) )

From:         ctillier@leland.Stanford.EDU (Clemens Emanuel Tillier)
Date:         21 Dec 94 02:17:41

Karl Swartz  wrote:

>This is also for landings on runways without landing gear, but I think
>the concern is more to keep the aircraft from flipping than it is for
>tearing off the wings.

How can an engine shear off and go *over* wing?  In situations such as
described above, I would expect the engine wreckage to go *under* the
wing.  (Especially for the water landing.)  Also, what is meant by
"flipping" the aircraft when landing without gear?

Thanks,

Clem Tillier
Stanford, California, USA
ctillier@leland.stanford.edu