Re: Tristar FMC

From:         d.alan.johnson@larc.nasa.gov (Dave Johnson)
Date:         15 Dec 94 05:17:36

> On a recent flight from HNL to SEA on a ATA L1011 one of the crew
> commented that the Flight Management System on the Tristar was more
> "sophistcated" or "ahead of its time" compared to their 757 FMS.
> Do any visitors to this group have any qualitiative comparisons
> between the L1011/B757 FMS's?  Just curious.

The L1011 FMS was the first commercial FMS and predates the 757 by quite a few
years (mid '70s), so in that sense it was "ahead of its time", but the system
lacked many of the current 757 capabilities.  My understanding of the L1011
system was that it was built by a company which eventually gave up on
aerospace and went into medical equipment.